Tuesday 26 June 2012

The Intouchables Review

Directed by Olivier Nakache and Eric Toledano, this French film follows the heart-felt true story of an aristocrat who becomes a quadriplegic from a paragliding accident and then hires a young man from the projects to be his caretaker. 

Intouchables was #1 at the French box office for 10 consecutive weeks, breaking previous records, furthermore the film was highly acclaimed by all. Having wanted to watch the film the instant I heard about it's success in France, I finally got the chance to see it, and it completely blew me away. This is without doubt one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. Every single aspect of this film bursting with raw emotion, it was truly breathtaking, the acting, the cinematography, the screenplay, I mean everything! The sheer power that this film conveys is absolutely overwhelming. 

From the beginning I was completely mesmerized, starting with a more comedic angle, then slowly easing into the passionate emotions of the two characters relationship. To create such a film which mixes comedy and heart-felt emotion, is commendable enough, but the extent to which this film went to, to make sure that it portrayed every feeling that it wished to is almost beyond words. To display such a wide variety of emotions, of course the acting needs to be phenomenal and I would be doing the film an injustice if I said that the acting was anything below this, both the main leads, Francois Cluzet and Omar Sy are just as good as each other, capturing the personality of the characters perfectly .Every scene was so believable and meaningful, due to the amazing and truly realistic relationship that these two characters shared. 

Two scenes in-particular stood out for me as the most powerful, these were the parachuting scene and the ending scene. The parachute scene, in which both men parachute around the most compelling french countryside whilst being accompanied by a simple yet ever so effective soundtrack 'Feeling good'. The ending scene, I obviously won't go into detail about, but what I will say is that is one of the most cheerful ending's I've ever seen, and is one that will truly tug at your heart-strings. 

The music in general throughout the film is absolutely incredible, they couldn't have done a better job finding a more fitting piece to go with the film. The music re-kindles the emotions you felt throughout the film, even if your not watching it. 

If I had any complaints about this film they would be extremely picky ones, I would've quite liked to have seen a bit more of a detailed back-story to Omar Sy's character, Driss. Also his young friend I thought was a bit of an unnecessary character, as we never really went into a huge amount of depth within his character and his life. But these are almost minuscule problems that can EASILY be overlooked! 

This picture is what reminds me of what I really love about film, the true emotion displayed, compelling characters, breathtaking acting and a story which leaves you with a gigantic grin by the end. 

90%- A truly mesmerizing film, that will leave you grinning for hours after. 

Calum.Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment