Saturday 14 January 2012

Super 8 review

Super 8- 'Steven Spielberg' that name alone can determine what film , 'film goers' go to watch in the summer. Although this was only produced by spielberg his print is well and truly made on this film... And not a good print. Some of Spielberg's classics personally include ; jaws, Jurassic park and his very first picture duel. I wasn't really touched by spielberg s magic through e.t, as I thought it was simply silly and was playing on the silly alien theme for too long. Unfortunately e.t is the template for jj abrams homage to spielberg. The big theme of the alien, it was all about the kids being faced with something so much bigger and greater than they could understand, and this theme played out brilliantly thought the 1st 45 minutes of the film where a jaws like aspect was taken into the film where you don't see the monster. Then when it comes to the scene where the boy and girl are face to face with the creature in his underground lair I turned off. The classic Spielberg silliness returned, when the boy speaks to the monster. I had a great imagination of what the monster might look like before I saw it, but when I did I looked more like a transformer and the 'sympathetic dialogue scene' to follow was cringe. The fact that a gargantuan monster would listen to a young boy saying were your friends is totally preposterous, but I see what abram s was trying to do. To conclude I would say I was disappointed with this film I mildly enjoyed it because of the 'childhood adventure' aspect but apart from this I felt myself cringing uncontrollably at the end. If you want to see a nostalgic film about childhood adventures give this a watch if your looking for a sympathetic deep and heartfelt monster film watch gareth edwards terrific monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment